Nigeria vs South Africa Prediction: Can Bafana Beat the odds?

 | February 06 24 | 

4 mins read

Two teams that were below where they needed to be to competitively compete in this tournament, are now meeting in the semifinals. The super eagles have been the best defense in the CAF Africa Cup of Nations. South Africa has the second-best defense in the tournament. Is it a coincidence that both goal keepers representing these nations play in South Africa’s Premier Soccer League?  

Here are markets to consider adding to your bet slip...

Nigeria vs South Africa Betting Tips

  • To Qualify – South Africa 14/5
  • Anytime Goal Scorer – Ademola Lookman 49/20
  • Anytime Goal Scorer – Evidence Makgopa 27/5

To Qualify – South Africa 14/5 

South Africa have come a long from the team they were when this tournament began. a lot of fans were expecting this to be Percy Tau or Themba Zwane’s tournament to shine. They have both performed well but they have not completely run the show. this is because South Africa is playing like a team, it is the system that is shining. the philosophy, the tactics and the mutual respect between the players that is getting the job done. This is evident when you see South Africa’s defensive statistics. Bearing in mind that they took a difficult root to get this far in the tournament, knocking out Africa’s highest ranked African team Morocco.

Against Cabo Verde South Africa had to do it the hard way. They faced a total of 25 shots at goal, 2 of which were on target, 15 were off target, and 8 were blocked. Ronwen Williams made 2 saves excluding the 4 he made in the penalty shoot-out to secure South Africa’s Safe passage to the Semi Finals. Cabo Verde Lost possession 179 times with Bafana Bafana Making 22 Tackles, 5 interceptions, 37 clearances and 62 duels won.

Nigeria’s defense has also been outstanding, thanks in part to the efforts of Nigerian goalkeeper Stanley Nwabili. He has kept 4 clean sheets in this tournament only conceding a single goal. It is even more impressive when you look at the teams Nigeria faced in this tournament. They kept a clean sheet against Côte d’Ivoire, Guinea-Bissau, Cameroon, and Angola. 

It is very impressive when you consider how subpar their attack has been. Victor Osimhen who I for one expected to set this tournament a blaze has scored 1 goal and provided two assists from 5 starts. His Strike partner Ademola Lookman has shinned for the Super Eagles Scoring 3 goals in his last 2 appearances in this tournament. With the golden boot still in sight for him. He may be motivated and dangerous against South Africa.  

Two of the tournament’s best defenses go head-to-head in this fixture and as much I would like to lean towards a Nigerian win. The South African in me, cannot do it but for the sake of transparency. Win Probability states that South Africa has a 14% chance of winning against Nigeria, a 26% chance of the 90 minutes ending in a draw and a 60% chance that Nigeria will walk away winners. although the win probability is leaning away from South Africa, we’ve seen what the spirit of Ubuntu can do with the Rugby World Cup. May be that same spirit may Give Bafana all that they need to get the result and progress. The odds on them qualifying for the final are 14/5. 

Anytime Goal Scorer – Ademola Lookman 49/20  

The race for the golden boot is over for a lot of players, however Ademola Lookman, is the last active player in the top ten goal scorers in this tournament. He sits on 3 goals while the other active goal scorers Yoane Wissa of DR Congo, and Themba Zwane of South Africa are sitting on 2 goals apiece. Which is far behind leading goal scorer Emiliano Nsue who is already knocked out of this tournament with Equatorial Guinea. If Lookman is going to keep his dream of winning a golden boot at this tournament a live he will have to find the back of the net against South Africa. The odds on him doing so are set at 49/20 

Anytime Goal Scorer – Evidence Makgopa 27/5

The South African number 9 has finally found the net in this competition. He is South Africa’s focal point in attack with Themba Zwane and Percy Tau sometimes having to go deep to collect the ball and affect play in a positive manner. He is the player that will be expected to be on the other end of every cross into the box. judging from his performance against Morocco and Cabo Verde he is a bonified goal threat. the odds on him finding the back of the net in this match are 27/5 

Share Article

(Visited 151 times, 1 visits today)